Thursday, October 2, 2008

Elmhurst Trip Final Day

Final Day Monday September 22, 2008

It had been a great few days out in Elmhurst but unfortunately it was my last day in town and even though I was exhausted from all the running around it was extremely fun for me. Doc Jev and I had a few more things to finish up and that would be it.

If you recall I mentioned that a camera man from Comcast had been videoing my talk with the 4th graders and of me working out. The reason he was recording was because they were going to use it as part of an interview that was scheduled today between Senator Dan Cronin and myself on his TV show. Unfortunately, the senator was called to Capitol Hill to help with work on some problems with the Ethics Bill and the taping had to be cancelled. It would have been nice to tape the show but sometimes things come up that are more important and they need immediate attention, which is completely understandable. However Barb from Senator Cronin’s office kept me thoroughly informed on the possible cancelation/postponement of the show, which was great on her part! The good thing is that there is still an opportunity for us to do the show at a later date. Hopefully that later date will be during or two week break from sliding for Christmas and New Years! So if you would say a prayer that it works out for me to do the show, because I am still really excited to do it.

On this day Batman and Superman (not robin because neither one of us is a sidekick lol) were broken up. Doc Jev had to tend to some of his clients and I was invited out a Lions Club meeting for lunch by Richard Reichert President and C.E.O of the Community Bank of Elmhurst. The Lions Club members welcomed me with open arms and were wondering why Richard had brought his security guard with him! Lol The atmosphere was really relaxed, with everyone making friendly jokes about one another. It was refreshing to see that these business men and women still had a good sense of humor and not to caught up in what they do as professionals. Once again I was surrounded by a group of great people who were doing their part to give back and help their community. At the end of the meeting I talked with some of the members and autographed a few pictures for them and their family members.

Once the Lions Club meeting was over Batman and Superman were off to another adventure!! This time I had the pleasure of meeting some of Elmhurst’s every day superheroes. We stopped by a couple of the Fire Stations in town where I had the pleasure of meeting some of the guys. We also went by City Hall to drop off some autographed pictures for the Mayor, Police Chief and other City Officials and workers. I think we finished up about 5:30pm this day giving me enough time to head home and repack my things for my flight in the morning.

I can’t stress enough how blessed I was to come in contact with Doc Jev and the opportunities that God set up for me through him. It was these opportunities that allowed me to head home see family, and be a good witness and role model for children and even some adults. There were no scripts no planned speeches but it all just seemed to work out and I was blessed with the right words to say during my talks at that time! It is remarkable how events have occurred in my life or that I was born into helped shape me into a person with the ability to find some form of common ground with the majority of people that I meet. Those times when I have been in the middle of the storm wondering why this happening to me is or even just the randomness of some events in my life are starting to come together and make sense. I know there is still a grove of knowledge and experiences out there that I may not be able to fathom but I look forward to them and can only imagine how they will continue to shape me and allow me to shape others.

I thank God for allowing me to make this trip and for all the good people in Elmhurst I was honored to meet, because this was not of my doing but the Big Man putting things in place for me!!

God Bless
Jesse

No comments: