Thursday, April 9, 2009

Second Surgery Update Finale

Thank you for tuning back in to Channel JB3 brought to you by Mokceb Entertainment LLC.
Jesse is on his way to surgery....Sorry its hard to break character sometimes....I GOT TO FOCUS! lolOn my way to surgery at 9:00pm (March 9th) I remind the nurses that when I wake up this time and ask for water, that no one better shove a wet sponge in my mouth like they did last time!! I told them I want a real glass of water otherwise there is going to be a Fight! As I am being rolled down to the surgery it dawns on me that in my first surgery I did not remember any of my trip into the actual operating room. I immediately start to think that Mr.Hippie Anesthesiologist failed to give me enough drugs to knock me out! After that thought the next thought in my head I blame on watching too many movies on the Sci-Fi Channel. I see all these bright lights and people in mask and rubber gloves I am thinking ALIEN IMPLANT TIME OR My Head Will Be Forever Alive In A Glass Jar On a Shelf!!! And Can I Take Another Look At That Waiver I Signed! However, If they place some Bionic Implants inside my legs well.........that could just be our little secert!

After I am moved onto the surgery table the Anesthesiologist gives me some more drugs, places an oxygen mask over my face and instructs me to take a deep breath in. It was lights out after that Do Not Pass Go, Go Straight To The Land of zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz!

GOOD NEWS!
But to my delight when I woke up and asked for a glass of water THEY ACTUALLY GAVE ME A GLASS OF WATER AND NOT A WET SPONGE!! Cheers to me! I was happy the procedure was over but still a bit upset that I had to stay overnight. Doc came in after the surgery and explained to me that he had successfully removed all of the standing fluid/blood out of my leg and that no signs of infection had been detected. Doc went on to tell me that he also had to cut away more of the fascia in my leg. He cut lower towards my ankle and higher towards my knee to make sure all of my muscles were full released. Doc joked and said he wanted to make sure I did not have to come back a third time! I DID NOT LAUGH! All I was thinking is that if I have to come back a third time it will not be to you because I got two Great Surgeons Doc Greenwald at ISU and Doc Thometz in Chicago that I would be calling, and I know they would get the job don on the first try!!!

Then next morning Doc came back in the room explained the operation to me again and removed the wraps that were on my legs. The pressure, pain, and swelling that was once in my leg was finally gone! It was as drastic improvement from a week ago let alone a few hours ago. I was free to leave the hospital that afternoon under my own power with a little help from my crutches of course. Three days later on the 13th I was in the training room going through my therapy exercises. My legs were starting to feel a lot stronger and I was able to walk without the need of my crutches but I continued to use them because of my Doctor's orders. I continued therapy through out the week and each day my muscles continued to get stronger and I began to regain the flexibility in my lower legs.

The next week on the 17th Doc came in to remove all of the stitches from my legs, except at the point on my right leg where he had to go back in at a week ago. I asked Doc when could I get off the crutches, he told me two more weeks. I was not thrilled about that thought at all. I also asked him when I could start running again, he said maybe a couple of weeks after I get off the crutches. I failed to tell him that I had already started jogging, back peddling and side shuffling the last couple of days now!(I am very impatient people and I personally feel that my body needs to respond when I need it to!) I had told the trainers that it would not take me the 8 or more weeks Doc had said I would need to get back to lifting and running, but they were skeptical at first! They are Believers now!

GREAT NEWS!!!
Two days later on the 19th I informed the trainers that it is harder for me to walk around with the crutches than it is walking without the crutches. This was due to me grossly over compensating on my left leg for my right leg resulting in my left leg beginning to hurt. I asked them if they thought it would be ok if I did not use my crutches for short distances like walking around the cafeteria, the gym and in my room. Because in all honestly my legs felt better when I was able to perform walking motions on my own.

Doc came back on the 23rd to remove the last of my stitches and saw me walking around the cafeteria with out my crutches, he was not amused! He joked with me saying "Hey Nice Invisible Crutches You Have Their Jesse!" I Told Him I Had A Guy That Specially Makes Them For Me! lol After we both ate lunch we went into the Training Room where Doc removed the last of my stitches and cleared me to start LIFTING WEIGHTS!!!!! AND HE SAID THAT I WAS THREE WEEKS AHEAD OF SCHEDULE IN MY HEALING!!!!!! That's What I'M Talking About Doc!!! I COULD ONLY REALLY THANK GOD FOR BLESSING ME BECAUSE I WAS SERIOUSLY PRAYING EVERY DAY OVER MY LEGS THAT THEY GET BETTER FAST! And The BIG MAN UPSTAIRS CAME THROUGH AS USUAL! Doc also gave me advice on taking it easy and that I was not fully cleared to go really heavy yet. I actually listened to him on this because I did not want to have any accidents or cause too much inflammation in my legs too soon. Ok well I sorta of, kind of, eventually listened to him! lol Ok so after I got cleared and left the training room I was not going to go and lift BUT...(please tell me you got the joke that it was a big but! lol) I had to find out how much strength I had or had not lost because I would not be able to sleep at night if I did not know, and that would not be healthy. So, I did a little warm-up for squats and my last set on squat ended up being 160k or 352lbs for seven reps! Some of my teammates were in the weight room and saw me lifting after I got cleared and just shook their head at me and said "Are you kidding me Jesse! Only you would be in the weight room now!) They didn't know I still had some GETTY stored in me! The KID was feeling GREAT!!! After that for the last couple of weeks I have only been doing 4 sets of 80k or 176lbs for 10 reps, to make sure I do not over do it.

This past Monday on the 6th I was able to step up the pace of my running/jogging and my lifting since I got fully clearance from Doc!!! I still have to go a little bit easy on my plyometric exercises but other than that ITS TIME TO ROCK AGAIN!!!!!

I am feeling good! I have more flexibility in my lower leg than I can ever remember having, my strength has not really drooped off any and most importantly I continue to pray that my recovery continues to progress and I do not have any set backs!!! I also have some good trainers and strength people up here who are giving me everything I need to stay healthy, stronger and faster than I have ever been!

I am currently lifting three days a week (depending on how my legs are feeling), doing therapy five days a week (7 total therapy sessions a week) and running sorry jogging twice a week. lol And I will be able to sprint next week!!

Just want to say thank you for everyones well wishes and prayers!

God Bless you all!

Jesse

1 comment:

Arianna said...

Glad that you are back at it! Try and stay out of the operating room from now on, ok?